For some time now, there has been concern in China about the inclusion of melamine in products. Melamine is a chemical used in making plastics and fertilizer. Recently, it has been improperly used by companies to up the product’s perceived protein content.
Testing that was done suggests that the melamine level was nearly double the maximum permissible level. These findings are significant because this summer melamine tainted milk powder sickened more than 50,000 Chinese children and led to the deaths of four babies. The World Health Organization says that melamine and cyanuric crystals, which can grow and block the tunules, have been found in the kidneys of some Chinese children.
Canada has been issuing alerts as the result of candy that has entered it’s country from China. But, is this something that the US should be concerned about? The U.S. should be specifically looking at milk products from China found in cookies and candies, bakery and cereal foods, icings, snack foods, products containing cheese, milk and butter, soft candy with fillings and pet foods.
The FDA is advising consumers not to consume the following products because of possible melamine contamination:
- Fresh and Crispy Jacobina Biscuits New!
- Koala’s March Crème filled Cookies
- YILI Brand Sour Milk Drink
- YILI Brand Pure Milk Drink
- Blue Cat Flavored Drinks
- White Rabbit Candies
- Mr. Brown Mandehling Blend Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
- Mr. Brown Arabica Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
- Mr. Brown Blue Mountain Blend Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
- Mr. Brown Caramel Macchiato Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
- Mr. Brown French Vanilla Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
- Mr. Brown Mandheling Blend instant Coffee (2-in-1)
- Mr. Brown Milk Tea (3-in-1)
- Infant formula manufactured in China #
If you suffer from food poisoning, you need to get immediate medical care. If it continues or there are long term affects you should contact an attorney concerning the problem. Early investigation can include the collection of samples, checking for health alerts, and the proper notifying of those that caused the problem.
A founding partner with Bradshaw & Bryant, Mike Bryant has always fought to find justice for his clients—knowing that legal troubles, both personal injury and criminal, can be devastating for a family. Voted a Top 40 Personal Injury "Super Lawyer" multiple years, Mr. Bryant has also been voted one of the Top 100 Minnesota "Super Lawyers" four times.