Peanut Corporations’ distribution of peanut butter is causing problems across the country. Here in Minnesota, two have died from eating the product. Kellogg, which uses Peanut Corporation as one of it’s distributors, is pulling it’s products off the shelves.
The problem is, findings of Salmonella, which is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. For more information on Salmonella, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Website at http://www.cdc.gov.
The recall covers items produced on or after July 1, 2008, including:
- Austin® Quality Foods Cheese Crackers with Peanut Butter – all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods Cheese & Peanut ButterSandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods Mega Stuffed Cheese Crackers with Peanut Butter – all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods PB & J Cracker Sandwiches – all sizes
- Austin® Quality FoodsSuper Snack Pack Sandwich Crackers
- Austin® Quality Foods Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods Toasty Crackers with Peanut Butter – all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods Reduced Fat Cheese & Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers
- Austin® Quality Foods Reduced Fat Toasty Crackers with Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers
- Austin® Quality FoodsCookie/Cracker Pack
- Austin® Quality FoodsVariety Pack
- Keebler® Cheese & Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Keebler® Toast & PB’n J Flavored Sandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Keebler® Toast & Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Famous Amos® Peanut Butter Cookies (2- and 3-ounce)
- Keebler® Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies (2.5-ounce)
Consumers who have purchased the recalled products are urged to destroy the product. Consumers with questions or who would like a refund may contact the Kellogg Consumer Response Center at 877-869-5633. Consumers with questions or concerns about their health should contact their doctor.
If you or a family member is injured by a product, you need to get immediate medical care. If there is a significant affect or injury, you should contact an attorney concerning the problem. Early investigation can include the collection of product, checking recall alerts, and the proper notifying of those who caused the problem.
A founding partner with Bradshaw & Bryant, Mike Bryant has always fought to find justice for his clients—knowing that legal troubles, both personal injury and criminal, can be devastating for a family. Voted a Top 40 Personal Injury "Super Lawyer" multiple years, Mr. Bryant has also been voted one of the Top 100 Minnesota "Super Lawyers" four times.