The Legal Examiner Affiliate Network The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner search instagram avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner
Skip to main content

I came upon a story about the growing concern of children swallowing coin size batteries. According to the studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

From 1997 through 2010, nearly 30,000 young children up to age 4 were taken to emergency rooms for battery-related injuries, the report said, with more than half the cases involving button batteries.

The size and the shiny nature apparently are very attractive to the very young. Considering their makeup, the batteries require quick and technical help in order to prevent major damage or death.

Fellow Legal Examiner writer Pierce Egerton took a look at the issue and had a great list of helpful reminders to prevent the problem.

Coin-Sized Batteries Pose Deadly Threat to Toddlers, the Elderly, Pierce Egerton | October 10, 2011 9:57 AM

Most importantly, great care needs to be taken when the batteries are out of their packaging whether it is before they are used or when they are disregarded. Most libraries and many grocery stores have receptacles for the proper disposal of batteries.

Comments for this article are closed.