The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

It’s really cold right now. So it’s not unusual to read about people who ended up in the hospital because of a car that was left running in an attached garage. We have to be alert to the dangers of carbon monoxide. It also reminds me of a couple of cases that have gone through the appellate court system here in Minnesota.

In each of those cases, people were killed as they slept in or upstairs from running cars. In a past Connecticut case it was the carbon monoxide detector in the house that probably prevented it from happening there also.

When it’s cold, it’s tempting to just let the car warm up. But those are deadly fumes that are coming out and what’s worse is that one of the side effects is unconsciousness. In each of those Minnesota cases, the result was even harder on the survivors when the court found that there was no basic No-fault coverage because the car wasn’t being used as a car at the time.

Be safe. Keep the running cars out side.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest