Due to a number of ice related roll overs the Minnesota State Patrol is issuing a warning for the area. They also point out that it’s a time to be careful throughout the State.
Icy roads caused several accidents Wednesday, including two rollovers — one on Interstate 90 east of Rochester and the other on U.S. 52 near Zumbrota.
Four people were taken to the hospital
The Department of Public Safety and the Minnesota Department of Transportation DPS recommend the following for safe winter driving:
• Always use seat belts.
• Adjust speed to road and weather conditions — lower speeds minimize crashes.
• Keep a safe stopping distance between vehicles, and leave extra room between your vehicle and snow plows or other removal equipment.
• Accelerate and decelerate slowly on icy/snow-covered roads to retrain traction and avoid skids.
• Do not use cruise-control.
• Do not “power up” hills which may cause wheels to spin. Build momentum before reaching a hill and don’t stop while traveling uphill. Reduce speed going downhill.
• Know your brakes — keep the heel of your foot on the floor and use the ball of the foot to apply firm, steady pressure on the brake pedal.
• Give yourself plenty of travel time — don’t put your schedule before safety.
• Clear snow and ice from vehicle windows, hood, headlights, brake lights and directional signals.
• Headlights must be turned on when it is snowing or sleeting.
For weather-related road information, call 5-1-1 or visit www.511mn.org.
For winter driving tips and more winter safety information visit http://www.winterweather.state.mn.us/WHAH_Home.asp.
A founding partner with Bradshaw & Bryant, Mike Bryant has always fought to find justice for his clients—knowing that legal troubles, both personal injury and criminal, can be devastating for a family. Voted a Top 40 Personal Injury "Super Lawyer" multiple years, Mr. Bryant has also been voted one of the Top 100 Minnesota "Super Lawyers" four times.